The General Regulation state that instruction should be provided in subjects â€œusually taught in the Public schools to students of the same ageâ€ and should include â€œEnglish, Math, Science, Social Studies, Art, Music, Health, and Physical Educationâ€. The K-8 program includes developmentally appropriate instruction in every area. In grades 6-8, instruction in Art, Music, Health, Physical Education, and Technology Education is nine weeks in duration. The 9-12 program includes six or more credits of instruction per year toward the Maryland High School graduation requirements. (One credit is equal to an hour of daily instruction for a full school year.)
The Maryland High School graduation requirements include as a minimum:
- 4 credits: English
- 3 credits: Math (1 credit must be in algebra and 1 credit must be in geometry)
- 3 credits: Science (1 credit must be in Biology)
- 3 credits: Social Studies (US History, American Government, World History)
- 1 credit: Fine Arts (Dance Drama, Visual Arts, or Music)
- 1 credit: Technology Education
- 1 credit: Physical Education/Health
- 2 additional credits: Advanced Technology Education or Foreign Language
Glenwood Country Day Schoolâ€™s Responsibilities:
- To provide oversight services in accordance with the Maryland Home Instruction COMAR 13.A.10.01
- GCDS shall report on an annual basis, all enrollments and withdrawals to the county of residence of each GCDS family.
- GCDS shall make available enrollment conferences for all newly-enrolled families and three reviews for all enrolled families. (Nov., Feb., May) Each review costs $100.00
- The Director of Homeschooling, Mrs. Stradling, will discuss at the first conference what textbooks, lesson materials, and other instructional materials are suggested to be used independently by the student. Conference fee: $100.00
- An optional educational assessment of the student can be conducted by Mrs. Stradling before homeschooling begins. Cost is determined by the number of tests given.